About this printer
Peter Treveris (alternatively known as Peter of Treves), a native of Germany, worked primarily in Southwark, London, closely pursuing his business partnership with Wynkyn de Worde between 1521 and 1533. Treveris published many books for de Worde, including a share of the printing of Richard Whittington’s scholastic oeuvre. Additionally, Treveris published editions of Opusculum Insolubilium, Handy Worke of Surgery, and The Great Herball independently between 1520 and 1525. Several of his publications can be linked to commissions from patrons such as Robert Wyer and Bishop John Fisher, for whom he issued Sermons as his last dated work in 1532.
About the device
Treveris used one mark consistently throughout his career. The mark displayed in the Vassar Library contains only the small monogram, P.T., on either side of a decorative form. This simple insignia, however, is an extraction from the larger, more ornate mark Treveris used ordinarily. In its full version, the monogram is part of a shield suspended from a tree branch, flanked by mythical woodwoses or “wild men” on both sides. Treveris adapted these semi-human creatures from the printer’s device of Parisian printer Philippe Pigouchet.